IA-64 related question (tangentially)

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Apr 11 10:27:31 EDT 2003

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Simon Hogg wrote:

> Don't everybody get excited straight away - this needs to be approved by a
> few people first :-)
>
> Suppose 'a friend' had some Itanium hardware to be donated to a 'good
> cause' - what's the best way of going about it?  Should it go to FSF / Gnu
> / Debian projects to further their development (in general software terms)?
>
> Or, should it go to a local university in support of a specific 'end-user'
> / project (maybe beowulf related) role.
>
> What are the pros and cons of each route (for the receiver)?  I am more
> tempted by the FSF / Debian donation, but maybe there are other benefits.
>
> Simon
> p.s. The 'gift' won't be in the order of the 300+ nodes at OSC!

Goodness!  I just HAVE to take a stab at answering this one (I answer
everything else, after all...:-)

It's perfectly clear that the best way is to donate it to a
University, in fact, more specifically, to the Duke University Physics
Department.  Indeed, most specifically of all, to the group of Brown and
Ciftan in the Duke University Physics Department, to be used in Monte
Carlo computations in O(3) Symmetric critical systems and a new Multiple
Scattering Band Theory project just getting underway.

FSF or Debian don't need Itaniums, really, except for maybe one or two
to ensure that builds work on the architecture.  They don't "compute".
I do.  To me a cycle is a precious thing as I use so MANY of them over
the years.

Selflessly yours (just trying to make sure you Do The Right Thing...:-)

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu