SMC8624T vs DLINK DGC-1024T / Jumbo Frames ?

rochus.schmid at rochus.schmid at
Fri Apr 11 06:34:08 EDT 2003

dear beowulfers,
we are in a similar situation as dave: we get an 8nodes dual-xeon cluster
(with tyan e7501 mobo) with intel gige on board. and now the "switch issue"
comes up. my vendor also suggested the DLINK, whereas i found the discussion
on the (more expensive managed) SMC on this list supporting jumbo frames.
the issue was whether or not any of the cheaper (unmanaged) switches support
jumbo frames. i couldnt figure out if this is resolved, yet. it sounded like
they might, but since they are unmanaged the problem is to switch it on or
off. is that right?
i also found this document: HalsteadPubs/usenix_halstead.pdf
it says that the effect on bandwith with jumbo frames is only seen for tcp/ip
commun (netpipe) but is completely lost using MPI. since my code is MPI based
it wouldn't matter to have jumbo frames and i could go with the cheaper DLINK.
is this info right? or outdated? missunderstood?
any hints highly appreciated.