[Linux-ia64] Itanium gets supercomputing software

Duraid Madina duraid at octopus.com.au
Thu Apr 10 19:58:08 EDT 2003

David Mosberger wrote:
> Remember that Intel is targeting Itanium 2 against Power4 and SPARC.
> In that space, the price of Itanium 2 is very competitive.

OK, I want to be clear on this. I asked why Itanium hardware is still so
expensive. Your answer seems to be marketing speak for "The prices are
still high because we are _happy_ selling small quantities of this
equipment to people used to paying through the nose for good quality
hardware." Is this correct?

Can I then conclude that Intel has not yet had any interest whatsoever
in driving IA64 into the realm of reasonble prices? It's sad to see so
much work being put into this Linux port when, if things remain as they
are, it will hardly be used.

>   Duraid> Seriously, IA64 must be the first architecture in history
>   Duraid> where a software simulator is still being developed 4 years
>   Duraid> after commercial availability of silicon (indeed, entire
>   Duraid> systems).
>
> What's a software simulator got to do with anything?  Certain things
> are easier to develop on a simulator, others are easier to develop on
> hardware.  Nothing unique to IA64.

I put it to you that software is easier to develop on hardware. Nothing
unique to IA64, indeed.

	Duraid