Scaling of hydro codes

Eray Ozkural exa at
Thu Apr 10 08:54:43 EDT 2003

On Thursday 10 April 2003 11:47, Wolfgang Dobler wrote:
> My question is: do others find the same type of scaling for hydro codes?
> If so, how can this be understood?

Those are quite different architectures, that's why. Same parallel algorithm
will show different performance on such different architectures. Your beowulf
is a cluster of SMP nodes, does your algorithm take that into account? I
think it probably doesn't.

What exactly is the topology and architecture of the network on Origin3000?
How fast are the nodes (cpu/mem bandwidth), and how much memory does it have?

Same goes for the beowulf cluster.

By scaling I take it that you increase problem size as well as number of
processors. If you don't increase problem size it's called speedup. A
scalability plot together with a speedup plot can say more about your

Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo at>
Comp. Sci. Dept., Bilkent University, Ankara  KDE Project:
www:  Malfunction: