Question about linking Beowulf nodes

Stan Horwitz stan at
Mon Apr 7 11:27:55 EDT 2003

Hello all;

Sorry if this is a FAQ. I have been assigned the job of budgeting for a
six-node Beowulf cluster. I have no experience in this area, yet. We would
like to use PCs with AMD processors in them and have disk storage reside
on a Compaq Storageworks SAN. What I am not clear on is the best hardware
solution to link up the six nodes and the appropriate type of network
cards for the individual PCs that will form the cluster.

The purpose of this cluster will be to run computational jobs such as SAS,
Gausian, SPSS, IMSL, and various and sundry FORTRAN and C programs that
our faculty and graduate require for their research projects. Not
surprisingly, we also want to keep implementation and maintenance costs as
low as possible.

I have looked through the faq on the web site, but I did not
come across any specific hardware recommendations.