Specific Question about Single vs. Dual Processor System

Douglas Eadline deadline at plogic.com
Mon Apr 7 10:09:19 EDT 2003

On Sun, 6 Apr 2003, Chih King wrote:

> Hello.  I am a member of the University of Iowa Student Supercomputing
> Project (UISSP), and we are planning for the purchase of our first cluster.
> Currently we are divided between a sixteen node single-processor Pentium 4
> system and a seven node dual-processor Xeon system.  Here are the brief
> specification of both machines:
>
> 16 Pentium 4 single-processor system (total cost $7,407):
>
> Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz 533FSB 512KB
> ASUS P4S8X 533FSB SATA GB 8X MB w/ 10/100/1000 LAN

According to Asus this MB has an on-board 10/100 (realtek) interface
is there a 10/100/1000 option for this board.
Or are you adding a GigE NIC?

Doug

> 512MB PC2700 DDR333
> Maxtor 20GB Ultra100 Hard Drive
> ATI Rage Mobility VGA Card 8MB AGP
> CG 6039L 350W USB Midtower Case
> Linksys LNE100TX 10/100 Network Adaptor (2nd LAN channel)
>
> 7 Xeon dual-processor system (total cost $8,400):
>
> INTEL XEON 2.4GHZ 533FSB PROCESSOR x2
> TYAN S2723GNN E7501 GLAN MOTHERBOARD
> PC2100 256MB ECC/REG DDR x2
> Maxtor 20GB Ultra100 Hard Drive
> Chenbro Beige Server Case
> NMB 460W Xeon Power Supply
> MITSUMI 54X CD-ROM Drive
>
> As you can see, the single-processor system is about $1,000 cheaper than the
> dual-processor system.  We have a total of $9,500 in our budget (to pay for
> the system, the switch, and everything else).  Taking into consideration
> both performance and economical issues which system would you choose and
> why?  Some more details: since Gigabit LAN is built in both motherboards we
> will probably establish one Gigabit channel, and if necessary have a second
> 100Mbps LAN channel as well.  Therefore we will probably have to spend an
> additional $500-600 on switches.  Currently we are not sure about specific
> application that we will be running on the cluster, but we would like to run
> a broad range of calculations/simulations (ie. biological, economical,
> mathematical, etc.)  We would really appreciate any response in this matter.
> Thank you very much!
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Chih King
> UISSP

Paralogic, Inc.           |     PEAK     |      Voice:+610.814.2800
130 Webster Street        |   PARALLEL   |        Fax:+610.814.5844
Bethlehem, PA 18015 USA   |  PERFORMANCE |    http://www.plogic.com