advice on cluster purchase

jbassett jbassett at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu
Sun Apr 6 00:35:31 EST 2003

Hi, I am an undergraduate involved with a totally student run parallel
computing experience. We have approximately 10,000 of university money with
which to produce the best possible machine. I would  be interested to hear
from you all what configuration you would choose if someone just said "here's
the money, build the best system you can." The system will do both cpu
dominated and network intensive activities, so it would be tailored for
neither. Do SMP nodes tend to be superior in a cost/performance framework? I
have worked with other peoples systems and they are always dual cpu nodes, my
impression being that it is for the purpose of minimizing overall size- as I
tend to start a process on each cpu. Any advice would be appreciated.
Joseph Bassett