FOLLOWUP: Re: Platform adopts DRMAA?

Jim Meyer purp at acm.org
Thu Apr 3 17:22:07 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 11:14, Jim Meyer wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 23:24, Ron Chen wrote:
> > Something more interesting! Platform throws away its
> > own API and joined the DRMAA camp.
>
> You've mentioned this twice but I've not seen any mention of Platform
> [...]
> Can you (or anyone) point to something more specific indicating that
> Platform is adopting DRMAA (and hopefully providing an estimated
> timeline =)?

Failing any response from the original poster, I made a few phone calls
and determined that while Platform did indeed discard NPi, they have not
announced any effort to support DRMAA (nor did the couple of folks I
spoke with know of any such effort under consideration).

Perhaps that's a shame as it'd be nice to be able to integrate with one
interface and have a selection of DRM packages to choose from ... but
then, I suspect that an easy bidirectional migration path doesn't top
the list of any software vendor, proprietary or otherwise.

A pity, that.

Cheers!

--j, with salt shaker in hand.
--