Tyan S2468UGN

Vann H. Walke walkev at presearch.com
Wed Sep 11 13:30:51 EDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-09-11 at 12:16, David Mathog wrote:
> Couple of questions about the Tyan S2568UGN.  We have one running
> RH 7.3 and the current lm_sensors installed.
> 1.  sync followed by poweroff brings the OS down but does NOT
> turn off the power.  This even though ACPI is enabled in the BIOS.  Have
> any of you been able to power down one of these boards from the OS
> to the point where it turns off the power?

Are you running with an SMP kernel?  SMP disables ACPI for stability

> 2.  Anybody have an appropriate sensors.conf file for this?  The default
> one reads both CPUs and the motherboard at around 77C.  Well, that's
> clearly
> not right since I can hold my finger against the side of the heat sink
> and
> it's warm but not uncomfortably hot.  45C, tops.  Granted that's the
> outside of the
> heat sink, but it's hard to believe that there is a 30 degree
> difference.  Similar
> CPUs in Asus A7V266E motherboards read only 57C from the on chip
> diode, and the mobo is only 28C. I don't know where the motherboard
> sensor is on the Tyan but the board itself couldn't have been much above
> room temperature.  Which makes me wonder if there's any connection at
> all between the Temps coming out of the sensors program and what the
> actual thermistors
> are experiencing.

I'm assuming by most current you mean 2.6.4.  If not upgrade to the
latest version.  Keep looking at the lm_sensors bug reports for
updates.  You may have already seen this ticket (I noticed your ticket
there as well):

Unfortunately new motherboards are often not well documented and it
takes a while for discovery and reverse engineering.  If you keep
checking the lm_sensors home page a solution should come up.
> 3.  Is there a BIOS temperature monitor on this board?  I looked and
> couldn't
> find one.

You looked where?  In BIOS at startup?  Physically on the board?

Good luck,