RAID Question

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Thu Sep 5 16:24:46 EDT 2002

> If I am using a kernel (2.4.17) that doesn't support DMA on the Intel
> E7500 chipset can the integrated Promise RAID controller (PDC20267) still
> support and use DMA?  If I use the normal IDE connectors I only get
> 3MB/sec.  Could I instead use the PDC20267 and get better results, or does
> the Promise RAID controller rely on the chipset for functionality?

2.4.20-pre5-ac2 seems to work fine on our e7500 (with the PIIX in dma mode).
the problem is actually a bios flaw - failing to fully configure the PCI
state of the IDE controller, at least on the Intel SWV board we have.

I'm guessing your bios *would* configure the PDC chip correctly, and so would
work fine in DMA mode.  (don't get excited about Promise's so-called RAID
though - the kernel's md driver will do a better job.)

regards, mark hahn.