Cluster System for Computer Graphics Rendering

Jim Meyer purp at
Thu Oct 31 00:53:06 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 03:24, Chen Kwong Wai William wrote:
> Dear all,
>     I am looking for solution to rendering Maya scenes in a Linux
> Cluster. Anyone there working similar project before? Anyone try
> Beowulf Clustering in real commerical production in stead of R&D, or
> academic project.

No one is doing this that I'm aware of, but for a long time I've
wondered what would happen if someone were to cleverly use Mental Ray's
ability to set up a rayserver which loads the scenefile, then have
multiple nodes query it until the render is complete. More of a
distributed computing solution, tho, as I don't think even Mental Ray is
compiled with any sort of truly parallel (e.g. MPICH, PVM, etc.) system
in place.