Beowulf & VMWare

Donald Becker becker at
Wed Oct 30 19:45:38 EST 2002

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Donald Becker wrote:
> > On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Marquardt, Paul wrote:
> >
> > > The organization I work for has been toying with the idea of server
> > > consolidation.
> > >
> > > One of the scenarios presented by the group was to build a Beowulf cluster
> > > and use VMWare GSX Server to partition it.
> > We've done that ....
> There are two other things worth noting.  One is that grub provides a
> limited, but much cheaper way of "toggling" a system between different
> operating systems according to, say, a schedule (beowulf node by night,
> windows workstation by day).

Hmmm, what new feature does Grub have over LILO for this?

This also addresses a different problem.  Rebooting the machine to
switch applications is time consuming and unreliable, and it doesn't
allow dynamic load balancing or consistent control.

Donald Becker				becker at
Scyld Computing Corporation
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993