kernel panic

Huntsinger, Reid reid_huntsinger at
Mon Oct 28 09:27:00 EST 2002

Are you using etherboot? I've had this problem with an older etherboot's
mknbi. The initrd gets loaded someplace the kernel doesn't expect when you
have more than about 800MB RAM. The solution was to change the location at
which the initrd is loaded. But I believe the current mknbi fixes this

Reid Huntsinger

From: "Pablo" <aqui at>
To: <beowulf at>
Subject: kernel panic
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 23:43:11 -0300

Hi everybody,
I've recently added 512MB of memory to one of my nodes (it already has
512MB). It does a network boot and display the "kernel panic" message trying
to mount root (vfs).
Removing 512MB (leaving 512MB), works fine. Any idea ?

Notice: This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains information of Merck & Co., Inc. (Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA) that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this message.  If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by e-mail and then delete it.