kernel panic

Erwan Velu erwan at mandrakesoft.com
Sun Oct 27 09:39:46 EST 2002

> Hi everybody,
> I've recently added 512MB of memory to one of my nodes (it already has
> 512MB). It does a network boot and display the "kernel panic" message
> trying to mount root (vfs).
> Removing 512MB (leaving 512MB), works fine. Any idea ?
What kind of motherboard are you using ? bios version ? Memory type ?
But you could try a "linux mem=512M" at lilo time your testing if it's a
memory detection problem.If you need an initrd for booting your node and if the memory detection is
not working fine the initrd can't be loaded in RAM then you can't boot.