CCL:Macintosh questions (fwd)

Chris Black cblack at
Mon Oct 21 13:48:47 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 07:20, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> [...]

I am not sure on this but as I understand it the gcc that Apple ships
with their free developer tools has had some work done to improve
optimizations on PPC CPUs.
> 2) How does OSX compare to Linux as a development environment?  Can one
> do C and Fortran coding (or more-modern languages) on these machines?
> Are there particular problem areas?

I haven't done Fortran, but C works fine using make and gcc from the
developers tool cd. As for problem areas I will mention that the way
they handle dynamic linking and building shared libraries is different
from the way I was used to on Linux, but it does work (after some
makefile changes).

> 3) Is there any problem giving presentations from a Mac rather than
> a PC (both laptops)?  Or, are the suitable video-out ports supported
> on each?

One thing to keep in mind is that the new TiBooks have a DVI out rather
than a VGA out, meaning you will need an adapter to use many projectors.