Gigabit copper networking and Cisco gear

Dean Johnson dtj at
Sun Oct 20 22:19:46 EDT 2002

On Sun, 2002-10-20 at 19:03, Justin.Baker at wrote:
> Can anyone give me an idea why these switches don't seem to be used for clusters?
> Also, if that's correct, what I should use instead?

In a word, "cost". Cisco products are wayyy more expensive than other
"good enough" products. Clusters are often done because it is cheap
horsepower. At the point where people are less cost sensitive, they
often step up to something like myrinet.