Cluster Upgrade Strategy

Joachim Worringen joachim at ccrl-nece.de
Fri Oct 18 03:05:37 EDT 2002

Donald Becker:
> In the Scyld Beowulf system (well, specifically the professional
> editions) we ship six different kernel variously optimized for
> Pentium-4, Athlon, and uniprocessor/SMP.  And with the current system

Can you elaborate on the actual performance differences/gains that these
kernels show? The things that I would optimize are memcpy() and maybe libm -
but do you really need different kernels for this? Function ptrs should do
the job. What else benefits from optimizations?

 Joachim

--
Joachim Worringen - NEC C&C research lab St.Augustin
fon +49-2241-9252.20 - fax .99 - http://www.ccrl-nece.de