CCL:Macintosh questions (fwd)

Eugen Leitl eugen at
Thu Oct 17 08:20:58 EDT 2002

-- Eugen* Leitl <a href="">leitl</a>
ICBMTO: N48 04'14.8'' E11 36'41.2''
83E5CA02: EDE4 7193 0833 A96B 07A7  1A88 AA58 0E89 83E5 CA02

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 15:23:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: Joe M Leonard <jle at>
To: chemistry at
Subject: CCL:Macintosh questions

I would welcome any guidance on the following questions (and
assume somebody reading this has played with new Macintoshes):

1) What is the large-scale/floating point performance between the newest
Macs and Intel machines?  Is there any particular compilers and/or switches
needed to realize max performance?

2) How does OSX compare to Linux as a development environment?  Can one
do C and Fortran coding (or more-modern languages) on these machines?
Are there particular problem areas?

3) Is there any problem giving presentations from a Mac rather than
a PC (both laptops)?  Or, are the suitable video-out ports supported
on each?

Thanks in advance!

Joe Leonard
jle at

P.S. I figure our audience is sufficiently different to make "typical reviews"
less than valuable :-).

-= This is automatically added to each message by mailing script =-
CHEMISTRY at -- To Everybody  | CHEMISTRY-REQUEST at -- To Admins
Ftp:  |  WWW:   | Jan: jkl at