problems with 3com and intel 100MB cards

Dean Johnson dtj at uberh4x0r.org
Wed Oct 9 11:49:58 EDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 10:37, Marcin Kaczmarski wrote:
> I got the information from him that 3com and
> intel cards are very unreliable , they cannot bear extremely high
> network load. So are these cards only well suited for throwing them away
> to the basket?

This is not my experience, nor the experience of anybody I know. Sure
low cost 3com cards aren't terribly good, but they are still better than
almost all other low cost NIC's. Intel cards have always worked like a
champ for me. Many server boards have eepro's (and 3com's, for that
matter) for their builtin NICs and I would find it hard to believe that
junk NIC chipsets would have made it through the rigorous qualification
process for so many manufacturers of high-end motherboards.

I'm sure Don has a lot clearer big picture about NIC's than I do.

	-Dean