undergrad question on choosing OS

Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
Tue Nov 26 19:37:00 EST 2002

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 mosborne at cbu.edu wrote:

> Hi-Im new to linux and Im working on my first Beowulf, I was
> planning on going with RedHat 8.0, but would it be better
> for me to use the Scyld software or maybe another distro?

It depends on what you are building the cluster for.
The Scyld system makes it much easier to install and maintain the
cluster than other distributions, and it makes possible single binary
application deployment.

But these features may be unimportant to you if you goal is to learn
about Linux rather than to operate a cluster.  Pick the system that
students around you are using, because with each update of the kernel or
important system package you are certain to run into unforseen problems.

Donald Becker				becker at scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993