Wireless Beowulf?

Dean Johnson dtj at uberh4x0r.org
Mon Nov 25 15:45:15 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 12:18, Michael Worsham wrote:
> Has anyone researched using the wireless 11a (or soon to be released 11g)
> protocol as an idea for simplistic beowulf design? I know it won't be as
> fast as fiber, but rather than having 5,000+ wires hanging everywhere,
> perhaps it could be a viable idea in a closed-room location?

I've had this dream of paired wireless dongles for things like serial
lines to the kvm switch, or low speed admin network connections. That
would save a lot of wires in a properly setup cluster. Reasonable
bandwidth with a range of like 10 ft would be fine in most cases. But,
alas, it is but a dream and would likely be too expensive if someone did
do something in like bluetooth (or whatever).