SMC 8624T 24-port 10/100/1000 switch

Greg Lindahl lindahl at keyresearch.com
Tue Nov 12 19:36:20 EST 2002

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 04:10:37PM -0800, Trent Piepho wrote:

> It's interesting to note that the broadcom chips support jumbo frames up to
> 9K.  I wonder why the HP, dell, netgear, etc.  switches don't seem to support
> jumbo frames?

It's not exactly free; you have to change your silicon, sometimes
significantly. It's also a problem on customer networks; if you have a
mix of 100bt and gigE, you either need a smart enough switch between
them to fragment, or you need to set up something complicated enough
that their average customer can't get it right.

Now for inside a cluster, that's much easier to set up.

-- greg