Netgear GS254T 24 port GB ethernet switch (minimal test)

Michael Stein mas at ucla.edu
Mon Nov 11 02:42:05 EST 2002

I got a chance to try a Netgear GS524T 24 port GB ethernet switch
here recently.  This switch seems to run about $2000.

I had 21 machines connected (head node plus 20 compute nodes).

The machines were Intel SWV2ATA (ATA version of Intel SE7500WV2
motherboard) with dual Xeon 2.4 Ghz processors.  Systems were RedHat 7.3
(with proper network drivers).  These motherboards have dual GB ethernet,
however only one GB port was used for this test.

>From the head node I ran 10 simultaneous commands like:

rsh <ip-src> netperf -H <ip-tgt> -- -S 256000 -s 256000

Where ip-src and ip-tgt were all separate machines (20 machines total)
none of which were the head node.

I saw wire speed on them all (> 900 Mbit/second), usually close to
940 Mbit/second.  So perhaps 10 GB/s switch (minimum), at least in this
configuration.

This was only a 10 second test...   Your milage may vary...