Beowulf digest, Vol 1 #1090 - 10 msgs

Maurice Hilarius maurice at
Tue Nov 5 22:00:26 EST 2002

With regards to your message at 05:47 PM 11/5/02,
beowulf-request at Where you stated:
>From: "David Mathog" <mathog at>
>To: beowulf at
>Subject: Tyan serial console - how?
>Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 12:36:51 -0800
>I've been trying to get the Tyan serial console working
>on our rack full of 2466 boards. So far only partial success.

Some hints:
When Linux kernel loads you do not get console sent to serial by default,
so on your boot command you may wish to add the following kernel parameters:
This does assume, of course, that when you built your kernel you enabled
serial console support.
In your .config you should see some lines like:

Also, note the 19,200 speed.
In general speeds that are higher than this are not very useful ,
especially under software (X-on/X-off) flow control are not that good above

You will see some "snow" as the terminal scans the screen on intervals.
While irritating, it is harmless.

Next question is how do you deal with the fact that the terminal keyboards
do not make keycodes for "Esc" or "F2" by default?

Perhaps looking at what a VT100 terminal actually works with may be

And for ANSI sequences:

Before everyone gets on Tyan's case about this, the things you are seeing
are NORMAL serial console behaviour. This was the same on DEC boxes, old
Suns, HP's and so forth as well.

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius       Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.               FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue        mailto:maurice at
Edmonton, AB, Canada
    T5X 1Y3

Ask me about NAS and near-line storage