disadvantages of a linux cluster

Paul Redfern red at tc.cornell.edu
Tue Nov 5 16:45:21 EST 2002

Hi,
We used to run IBM SP and SGIs and are now running CFD applications on
256-processor Intel clusters (home grown apps). We run in parallel with
MPI Pro and Cluster Controller and Windows 2000. Reliability is 5-nines;
manageability tools have helped us to reduce systems administration
costs/staff. A company visiting last week is installing a 128-processor
Windows cluster for multiple users to access FLUENT. If you are
interested in trying out a Windows cluster with your CFD app, I can
provide a test account for that on Dell (duals) or Unisys  (32-processor
SMP Xeon and Itanium 2).
Paul

Paul Redfern
Cornell Theory Center