Purging files from slave nodes

Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
Wed Mar 27 16:42:05 EST 2002

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Jakob Østergaard wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 12:22:39PM -0700, Arthur H. Edwards wrote:
> > Is there a command to purge files (I know bpsh -a rm /tmp/*.* doesn't work)
> > to remove files from slave nodes? Other than reformatting, can one clean up?
> Please note that rm /tmp/*.*  will only delete files containing a period in
> their names...

More subtlety, doing
   bpsh -a rm /tmp/*.*
will do filename globbing on the originating machine (the master).  Thus
it will only clear filenames that exist both on the master and on the slave.

> Also, tmpwatch does this job in most distributions already, fully
> automated. It will delete any file in /tmp that hasn't been accessed
> for a number of days (typically 30 I think, but easily adjustable).

The tmpwatch program is reasonable for cleaning up "user droppings" in a
workstation environment, but it isn't as useful on a cluster with
per-node /tmp directories.  Most programs usually clean up their /tmp files.
Those that don't tend to spew forth too many files to handle with a 30
day delay.

Note that in the default Scyld system the slaves run no extraneous
daemons such as 'cron' or 'at'.  Thus 'tmpwatch' (if activated) is run
only on the master.

Donald Becker				becker at scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993