Miniature Beowulf

Zach Lowry zlowry at
Fri Mar 15 11:36:16 EST 2002

> both Compaq and Dell sell "small-form-factor" desktops, which
> are roughly
> 12x3 in rack surface area (close to 1U, but much shallower.)
> this seems fairly attractive for building clusters, since,
> for instance,
> Compaq will preconfigure as you like (no cd, perhaps no disk, PXE
> boot on the builtin eepro100) for large orders.  3 year warantee,
> probably about 80W dissipation...
Money, no money... <g>

> of course, you can do pretty much the same thing yourself
> from commodity
> parts - AOpen has a SFF case/PS that would be reliable, and there
> are  probably uATX boards with onboard NICs that would net-boot.
> doing it yourself would even let you go AthlonXP rather than P4.
Yes! This is really cool. However, given that this will be resting in
my apartment, I'll probably go with VIA chips, for less heat and

> these cases usually take "low-profile" PCI cards; I don't know
> whether a gigabit card would fit.  we're looking at them as
> serial-farm components,
> so 100bT would be plenty...
Yeah, onboard'll have to do for now. I wonder how many MicroATX
boards I can cram in a rack?

Zach Lowry

Version: PGPfreeware 7.0.3 for non-commercial use <>