Motherboard query... - 4-port ide cards - hotswap ide

Kevin Wood kwood at
Fri Mar 1 09:28:31 EST 2002

Have you tried the promise SX6000?  It is a six channel IDE raid card that
is capable of doing raid 5 and requires one drive per channel.  It will run
up to 128MB of SDRAM.  I have used one and they run about $300.  I have to
admit it was under Win2000, but it might work under your OS.  Seemed pretty
quick.  Any one else have experience?

Kevin Wood
GSHiis, Inc.
kwood at

-----Original Message-----
From: beowulf-admin at [mailto:beowulf-admin at]On
Behalf Of alvin at
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2002 6:28 AM
To: Bill Broadley
Cc: ml at; beowulf at
Subject: Re: Motherboard query... - 4-port ide cards - hotswap ide

hi ya

i havent tried 3ware... but  are there other 4-port or 8-port
IDE controllers ??
( just plain old ide... like the promise/maxtors ultra/100 series )

( not 4 drives on 2 ide cables...but 4 (master) drives on 4 ide cables )

btw... has anybody tried the ide to scsi hot-swap adaptors ??

alvin ... sw & hw raid stuff..

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Bill Broadley wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 11:50:04PM +0100, ml at wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 04:07:25PM -0500, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > belong to your problems with the IDE-Raidsystem i can remark, that we
> > very good experiences with the hostbased controllers from 3ware
> > They have controllers with up to eight channels and our benchmarks show
> > results between 50-60 MB/s at Raid-Level 5 (with 8* 120 GB Maxtor, 5.400
> > rpm). That should be the right controller for your purposes -> 3ware
Escalade 7850B