Eugen Leitl eugen at
Mon Jun 10 14:15:45 EDT 2002

-- Eugen* Leitl <a href="">leitl</a>
ICBMTO: N48 04'14.8'' E11 36'41.2''

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 10:33:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ivan Oleynik <oleynik at>
To: chemistry at

Dear Colleagues,

We are going to acquire a Linux cluster for running MPI type applications
such as molecular dynamics, DFT plane wave and LCAO (such as MSI DMOL). We
prefer to get as "turnkey" system as possible: we do not want to spend
time studying hardware issues related to Beowulf DIY.

I would really appreciate if someone could recommend a good vendor, who
enthusiastically works with academics, understands and adequately responds
to customer needs and requirements, provides good warranty support and,
the most importantly, sells reliable state-of-the-art cluster systems.

I would also like to get some technical advice regarding critical issues
we need to keep in mind during the process of choosing configuration. To
be specific, I am thinking of 24 node cluster with the following node
configuration: dual AMD Athlon 2000+ (2100+) MP processor, 2Gb DDR SDRAM &
40Gb IDE hard drive. Obviously, the most important question is the choice
of interconnect.  I am aware of  3 standard options: Gigabit Ethernet,
Myrinet, and Dolphi Wulfkit. I would appreciate very much if someone could
share an experience regarding which of these 3 choices gives an optimum
balance of performance (especially for heavy numerics) and price.

Thanks very much,

Ivan Oleynik

Ivan I. Oleynik                       E-mail : oleynik at
Department of Physics
University of South Florida
4202 East Fowler Avenue                  Tel : (813) 974-8186
Tampa, Florida 33620-5700                Fax : (813) 974-5813

-= This is automatically added to each message by mailing script =-
CHEMISTRY at -- To Everybody  | CHEMISTRY-REQUEST at -- To Admins
CHEMISTRY-SEARCH at -- archive search    |    Gopher: 70
Ftp:  |  WWW:   | Jan: jkl at