Get ethernet MAC address without powering on machine?

Donald Becker becker at
Tue Jun 4 04:43:12 EDT 2002

On 4 Jun 2002, Jim Meyer wrote:

> This leads me to my question: anyone know of a clever way to get the MAC
> address from an ethernet device without needing to power the machine up,

No, unless the NIC has a boot ROM that tries to do bootp/DHCP.

Even IPMI requires initially configuring the machine.

Note that Wake-On-LAN is not part of the solution.  A NIC in WOL mode
will only scan received packets, and it usually does this at 10baseT to
reduce power usage generating link beat.

Donald Becker				becker at
Scyld Computing Corporation
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993