AMD Athlon with Intel Fortran Compiler

Martin Siegert siegert at
Mon Jan 28 19:47:10 EST 2002

Thanks CraigR for the information.

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 04:40:26PM -0700, Craig Tierney wrote:
> He have a 25 node cluster.  We bought one Intel Fortran
> License.  You install the compiler where you compile, and
> not where you run.  We asked Intel about it just in case,
> and they said that was ok.

I had the impression that I must buy a license for every user on the
system - is that incorrect? (that would be impossible since I don't
have an idea how many user I am going to have).
I actually did ask whether I could create a generic "compiler" user
and then write a wrapper that does a sudo to that user and then compiles.
I did not get a response.
I guess I expected to be able to buy a similar license that I could buy
from PGI.

> So far I have only seen the Lahey compiler have a licensing
> plan that you have to license it for every node of the cluster,
> and not just where you compile.  I pointed this out to them
> at SC2001 and they gave me the impression that it was news to
> them that other vendors (Intel, PGI) did not require a license
> on every node.

I'd be happy with a license restricted to a single node (as long as
the executable runs everywhere - i.e., I couldn't buy a Lahey compiler).
I cannot buy a license that requires me to buy extra license for every
and each user.