Scyld and User Mode Linux ?

James Cownie jcownie at
Mon Jan 28 11:49:25 EST 2002

I was wondering whether it would be possible to use the Scyld patches
on a "User Mode Linux" ( )
kernel to build a virtual Scyld network on a single machine. (Since
I'm a cheapskate I'd rather do it this way if I can than shell out for

The point here is to have a software development and training
environment; I understand the performance will be poor, so there's no
need to tell me :-)

I had a look at Scyld's web site and can see no information about
which base kernel they use, though looking at the ftp site it appears
to be 2.2.19, in which case User mode linux is non-trivial, I think.

Is this right ?

Does anyone know if Scyld are intending to move to 2.4.something ?

-- Jim

James Cownie	<jcownie at>
Etnus, LLC.     +44 117 9071438