cluster frustrations

mjk at mjk at
Wed Jan 16 12:01:05 EST 2002

> I've tried to install Rocks a number of times. I got through (once)
> to where the compute nodes were up, but I haven't been able to get
> the latest version to work yet. In fairness, I haven't tried
> contacting their list even though they seem willing to help - I'm
> just too discouraged or shy I guess.

We're happy to help, just let us know what weirdness you're seeing.
For our software the bottom line is if RedHat supports it so do we.
If it doesn't work on RedHat it's fairly nasty hardware (but still
possible).  We've also got a very friendly user base now with other
people answering questions before we do.
> A reference showing how many OTHER people can manage to install
> clusters: proving I must
> be the village idiot.

This certainly isn't true.  If you cannot setup a cluster it's our
fault not yours.  Clusters are still way too difficult to setup, run,
and upgrade - that's why we're still here.  I think I speak for the
other groups here also.  Try them all and figure out what works for

Mason Katz                                      mjk at
Group Lead, Cluster Development                 858-822-3651
Grid and Cluster Computing
San Diego Supercomputer Center