kernel oopses

Martin Siegert siegert at
Mon Jan 21 21:13:44 EST 2002

This is somewhat off topic - sorry for that.

I am trying to use the linux driver for the SK9D21 GigE copper card
on a RedHat 7.2 system with a 2.4.13 kernel.

I have two athlon mp boxes with such a card connected with a cross-over
cable. Running netpipe (NPtcp) from one box to the other causes
a kernel oops.

I am quite sure that the oops is due to the driver
(without that driver the kernel runs fine).

The first thing I would like to do is to log the oops message. Right now
it goes to the console only - it does not appear in the log files
although syslog sends everything of severity *.info to /var/log/messages.

/proc/kmsg is empty.

There is a /proc/kcore file, but it is a binary file. I tried to read
it using ksymoops, but it generates a huge amount of garbage on the
screen but not the error message I see on the console.

I have tried the -s option to klogd with no success either.

Is there a way of getting the error message into a file (without typing
it off the console screen)?

Thanks for suggestions.

Martin Siegert
Academic Computing Services                        phone: (604) 291-4691
Simon Fraser University                            fax:   (604) 291-4242
Burnaby, British Columbia                          email: siegert at
Canada  V5A 1S6