Beowulf digest, Vol 1 #707 - 9 msgs

Maurice Hilarius maurice at
Tue Jan 15 12:30:29 EST 2002

With regards to your message at 10:01 AM 1/15/02,
beowulf-request at Where you stated:
>Message: 6
>Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 14:41:20 -0600 (CST)
>From: Steven Timm <timm at>
>To: Steve Gaudet <SGaudet at>
>cc: <beowulf at>
>Subject: RE: Boards for Fastest Intel Processors
>Steve--thanks for the note.
>Isn't the new Xeon package going to be 478 pins, same as the
>"northwood" version of the P4?  or am I getting confused here.
>Will the supermicro boards such as the P4DC6+ or P4DCE+ support
>the new,"prestonia" xeons or just the old ones?
>I am seeing vendors that claim the boards will but on
>the board spec sheet itself it only talks about the 603-pin package
>which I assume is the older "foster" package.  Is that right?
>Steve Timm

You are right.
The 860 chipset is designed for 603 style packages..
Maybe they ARE coming out with faster XEONs, but so far I have seen nothing
from Intel indicating this for this socket.. And we are an Intel OEM and
server builder program member.

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius       Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.               FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue        mailto:maurice at
Edmonton, AB, Canada
    T5X 1Y3