aggregate cluster stats

Martin Siegert siegert at
Mon Jan 7 14:47:11 EST 2002

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 01:41:25PM -0500, Andrew Fant wrote:
> I am currently running a 118 processor cluster, with bigbrother and larrd to monitor
> system status and gather performance and utilization data on a node by node basis.
> However, my management is now requesting aggregate statistics, and a web page
> showing load, etc, across the entire cluster.
> Has anybody hacked something like this themselves?  I would rather stick close to
> bigbrother and larrd, just to simplify implementation, but I have been playing with
> SGI's open source release of PCP, and I am not adverse to switching to another
> (free) solution if it can simplify the process.

I am doing this using bigbrother and larrd. You only need to change the script
that calculates the load (probably to use ruptime instead of
uptime and then simply add up the numbers. I don't know whether you want to
to fancier things, but I just have a bigbrother client running on the master
node and collect all data from the slave nodes using r-commands. The results
are sent to the webserver.

Martin Siegert
Academic Computing Services                        phone: (604) 291-4691
Simon Fraser University                            fax:   (604) 291-4242
Burnaby, British Columbia                          email: siegert at
Canada  V5A 1S6