newbie, PVM setup

Kevin Wood kwood at
Thu Feb 28 14:03:52 EST 2002

PVM Newbie,
A couple of things I would start with ...

1. make sure you have rhosts set up on the remote machine.  You should be
able to rsh back and forth between machines.
2. check /etc/pam.d/rlogin (make sure rhosts is on top of the list.)

Hope this gets you started in the right direction.
If all else fails, use the directions on

Kevin Wood
GSHiis, Inc.
kwood at

-----Original Message-----
From: beowulf-admin at [mailto:beowulf-admin at]On
Behalf Of Heger The Horrible
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 1:00 PM
To: beowulf at
Subject: newbie, PVM setup

I am a newbie to setting up Beowulf's.
Am doing one currently for my final year project at university.

Anyway, I have installed SuSE 7.2 on 4 nodes, (P100's)., and have installed
pvm when I was doing the installation of SuSE.

I can get the pvm>, so assume pvm is working correctly. I can conf, to see
the master node. What I cannot do however is add hostname. When I do, I get
this message (see below message)
I have installed pvm on the slave nodes in the same way as I did for the
master, and can get pvm> on each of them.
I have edited hosts.equiv, and hosts.allow for each of them.

I'd be very grateful if anyone could help me. I am a newbie in Beowulf's as
said before, so hopefully its something simple to you guys/girls.

Many Thanks

Jayne Heger

pvm>add tiger
add tiger
0 successful
                    HOST     DTID
                   tiger Can't start pvmd

Auto-Diagnosing Failed Hosts...
Verifying Local Path to "rsh"...
Rsh found in /usr/bin/rsh - O.K.
Testing Rsh/Rhosts Access to Host "tiger"...

Rsh/Rhosts Access FAILED - "tiger: Connection refused"
Make sure host tiger is up and connected to
a network and check its DNS / IP address.
Also verify that tabby is allowed
rsh access on tiger
Add this line to the $HOME/.rhosts on tiger:
tabby jayne