How to tell when a job is swapping?

Greg Lindahl lindahl at conservativecomputer.com
Tue Feb 19 19:26:11 EST 2002

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 10:21:49AM -0500, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> It basically counts swaps (in) (out) since the
> system was last booted.  You can thus get the RATE at which a system
> swaps by sampling swap at two different times, subtracting, and dividing
> by the time difference.

In the Good Old Days (tm), these fields weren't so useful, because
mmapped process I/O got counted as swapping. Is that now fixed?

If you don't have a good measure of swaps, then you're basically stuck
attempting to guess that a node is thrashing based on a high I/O rate
and a low cpu utilization... although there's probably something now
in /proc that tells you about what the VM is actually doing.

-- greg