Dramatic slowdown for -np 2

J Harrop jharrop at acm.org
Tue Feb 12 00:58:55 EST 2002

This may be an MPI problem, but I'm not sure so I'm posting it here and
comp.parallel.mpi

We are developing an application on a four node Beowulf while we wait for
the remaining nodes to arrive.  Speed-up has been close to predicted with
-np 3 and 4 in a master/slave mode.  But when I run at -np 2 the speed
drops to approximately 1/4 of the original serial application.  (On 4 nodes
- that is 1 master and 3 slaves, we get about 2.5 times speed-up relative
to the original application.)  All runs produce the same answer.

In the MPI code we have basic SEND, RECV, BCAST and REDUCE - nothing
fancy.  Does anyone know if any of these or other MPI functions run into
problems with one to one master slave ration?  Any other enlightenment
would be welcome.

Cheers,

John Harrop