Replacing Quad proc SMP multi node DEC Alpha Cluster with Linux Dual P4 cluster?

George France france at
Fri Apr 19 08:10:03 EDT 2002

Hello Shin,

On Friday 19 April 2002 05:47, shin at wrote:
> Hi,
> On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 01:11:28PM -0400, George France wrote:
> > Have you considered a quad processor EV68 (EV7 when they become
> > available) Alpha system?
> I ruled this out as being more costly than going down the PC route -
> I might be mistaken on that - but the last time I looked (about a yr
> ago for another project) it was quite costly.

If you need a 64 bit architecture, then I prefer the Alpha Architecture to
other 64 bit systems.  The EV67, EV68 and EV7 systems price vs performence
appears reasonable to me, assuming that you really need a 64 bit
Architecture.  If you do not need a 64 bit system aimed at High Performance
Technical Computing, then a 32 bit system will probably provide a less
expensive solution.

> I'm not even sure what the alpha future is now - and we have had
> good performance from our previous alpha setups - but cost is a real
> issue in this particular case and x86 of some variety looked the
> cheapest way forward.

The Alpha EV7 CPU will probably be last the alpha chip produced as we know
it.   I believe the EV7 systems should be out late summer or in the fall.  I
suspect that these systems will be available until at lease 2005.

When the the Hammer chips / systems are released or the next release of
Itanium, we will have to wait and see how they compare to Alpha.

Best Regards,