Replacing Quad proc SMP multi node DEC Alpha Cluster with Linux Dual P4 cluster?

shin at shin at
Fri Apr 19 05:47:17 EDT 2002

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 01:11:28PM -0400, George France wrote:
> Have you considered a quad processor EV68 (EV7 when they become available)
> Alpha system?

I ruled this out as being more costly than going down the PC route -
I might be mistaken on that - but the last time I looked (about a yr
ago for another project) it was quite costly.

I'm not even sure what the alpha future is now - and we have had
good performance from our previous alpha setups - but cost is a real
issue in this particular case and x86 of some variety looked the
cheapest way forward.