decreasing #define HZ in the linux kernel for CPU/memory bound apps ?

Greg Lindahl lindahl at
Tue Apr 16 11:31:46 EDT 2002

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 12:57:18PM +0200, Cabaniols, Sebastien wrote:

> Would it be interesting to decrease the #define HZ in the linux kernel
> for CPU/Memory bound computationnal farms  ?
> (I just posted the same question to lkml)

All pre-compiled user programs would then have the wrong HZ. So
/bin/time wouldn't work anymore.

As for "what HZ would be a good value?", Alpha has always used 1000,
and it isn't a significant performance hit. But x86 started life on
much slower machines, and now we're stuck with 100, unless you want to
rebuild ALL your packages.

I suspect IA64 uses 100 for compatibility reasons. I wonder how the
x86 emulator on AlphaLinux got around this... hm...