Paper showing Linpack scalability of mainstream clusters

Roger L. Smith roger at ERC.MsState.Edu
Thu Sep 27 18:16:52 EDT 2001

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Scott Shealy wrote:

> >From reading the paper I was particularly impressed with the 50W power
> consumption of each node.  We have an Athlon Cluster(1.33 GHZ) and those
> things are very power hungry.  We underestimated how much they draw and had
> to install an extra circuit in addition to the ones we had planned for...
> Perhaps there is yet another efficiency measure - MFlops/kwatt or something
> like that.
> So for the I-cluster that would have been
> 75 Gflops/(210 * 50 W/1000) = 7.14GFlops/kW
> Roger, out of curiosity could you do a similar calculation?

I checked our UPS before and after powering up the first 128 nodes (256
PIII 1GHz, 1GB, 20GB IDE), and came up with around 20kVA of power draw.
I haven't converted that to Wattage (they are running at 208V,
if anyone wants to do the math).

| Roger L. Smith                        Phone: 662-325-3625               |
| Systems Administrator                 FAX:   662-325-7692               |
| roger at ERC.MsState.Edu                 http://WWW.ERC.MsState.Edu/~roger |
|                       Mississippi State University                      |