Mulling over MTBF.

Carlos O'Donell Jr. carlos at megatonmonkey.net
Wed Sep 12 09:04:21 EDT 2001

Beowulf,

On a recent trend, I have been discussing with various
colleagues the aspect of power usage and power saving
in clusters.

At first, power saving, through node sleeping or drive
spin down, seemed like a good idea.

Though, I am wary about the following effects:

- Does spindown/spinup on common IDE drives effect MTBF?
 (Any drive for the matter)

- Does node sleeping/wakeup cycles effect MTBF for voltage
  supplies on the motherboard? (Or other componenets, through
  relaxation and transients).

I haven't seen any deep discussion about this. Though
I may want to turn my eye towards a few electrical/computer
engineering papers on the subject.

Cheers,
Carlos O'Donell Jr.
Computer(Engineering/Science)