Time Syncronization.

Judd Tracy jtracy at ist.ucf.edu
Fri Sep 7 10:58:14 EDT 2001

On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, alvin wrote:

> I have a hand full of machines that I am using rdate to synchronize.
> rdate seems to work reasonably well except for one macine that seems to
> gain about 30 seconds a day. The problem I find is that when rdate is
> run the date is just set back 30 seconds. Most times this is not a
> problem but is looks like it has broken inetd and then until I restart
> inetd nobody can use any services from there.
> I am sure someone on this list has solved this problem. I have used NTP
> in the past but have had mixed luck with various implemntations. I have
> a feeling that some combinaton of rdate and adjtimex may work.
> Any pointers or help greatfuly appreciated.

NTP works great for syncing the time and correcting the clock rate.  I
would also suggest that you use the broadcast mode of NTP if all of your
machines are on the same subnet.  Otherwise you end up with a lot of
traffic on the network just for keeping the time.

Judd Tracy
Institute for Simulation and Training
jtracy at ist.ucf.edu