How to identify NIC boards?

Sandy Harris sandy at
Sat Oct 6 11:39:10 EDT 2001

"Jacques B. Siboni" wrote:
> Hi all,
> Do you have any suggestion of a simple way to identify the NIC boards and
> chips in order to make etherboot rom, in particular when there is a a NIC chip
> on the mother board?
Have you tried the motherboard manual? The vendor's web site or spec sheet?

Install almost any Linux distribution, then do 'lsmod' to see what e'net
modules it has loaded. That tells you what boards Linux thinks it detected.
Of course, it might be wrong, but I think the chances of that are fairly
low. If your ethernet works, you almost certainly have the right module.