Problem with 3c905-C-TX cards under Scyld

Donald Becker becker at
Wed Oct 3 18:00:52 EDT 2001

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Tony Stocker wrote:

> I finally got around to installing Scyld on my putative host
> node.  Everything seemed to go fine until the system booted.  At that
> time, initialization for both of my ethernet cards failed.  Both cards are
> 3Com 3c905-C-TX's.

Presumably you are using 27Bz-7, and actually have 3c905CX cards.
The CX cards were made on a different fab line and have a different
not-quite-spec transceiver management interface.
This is fixed with the updated driver in 27*z-8.

> After logging in to the system I did an 'ifconfig -a' and, as expected,
> there was not an entry for eth0 or eth1.
> I then tried `insmod 3c59x` and got the following error message:
> /lib/modules/2.2.17-33.beosmp/net/3c59x.o:  unresolved symbol acpi_wake

You must first load pci-scan.o.  This is loaded automatically if you use
'modprobe' instead of 'insmod'.

> Do I need to get a new object file?  Do I need to recompile?  Is this even
> the right driver to use?

A updated driver, or an updated distribution.
This update applies to 3c905CX cards on all systems, not just Scyld.

Donald Becker				becker at
Scyld Computing Corporation
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993