Fortran compilers for Linux/mpich

David van der Spoel spoel at
Sun Nov 25 12:53:58 EST 2001

On Sun, 25 Nov 2001, Robert G. Brown wrote:

>Do you have any idea what the overall marginal benefit is of using your
>hand-optimized routines when working on large datasets (too big to fit
>into cache)?  In particular, does performance devolve to
>memory-bandwidth-bound behavior (and hence end up being the same for
>MILC and SSE and dominated by the memory bus speed)?
>    rgb
Of course YMMV, but for our application (molecular dynamics) the impact of
SSE is high: a factor of 1.5 for large applications, more than so for
smaller applications (see
for comparisons). I should admit that it was very time consuming to write
all that much assembly code (but the guy did it out of his own free will)

Groeten, David.
Dr. David van der Spoel, 	Biomedical center, Dept. of Biochemistry
phone:	46 18 471 4205		fax: 46 18 511 755
spoel at	spoel at