Gigabit Ethernet switches and network adaptors.

Steve Gaudet SGaudet at
Tue Nov 20 11:06:29 EST 2001

> On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 10:00:46AM -0500, Steve Gaudet's all...
> > Here's some of the network GIG E hardware we'd like to recommend:
> >
> >   AceNIC/NetGear GA620(T)/3C985B
> >   SysKonnect
> >   NS chipset:
> >      Cameo           SOHO-GA2000T    SOHO-GA2500T
> >      D-Link          DGE-500T
> >      PureData        PDP8023Z-TG
> >      SMC             SMC9462TX
> >      NetGear         GA622
> How do you find the performance of these NS82830 cards? Do they do
> block interupt xfer or whatever it is for more efficient
> xfer? How much
> system/interupt time do they chew up?

The NS based stuff is low-end and cheap - you get what you pay for - but the
drivers are rock solid and provide a good way to get started with GigE.

On a high enough powered box, you might even get decent throughput but it's
at a
cost of cycles.

The SysKonnect card I'm told, is going EOL so good news/bad news, they may
showing up on E-bay sometime. ;)

The most promising stuff is a broadcomm chip based 3com card (3c996) but as
this moment, there's no Linux driver for it.  That'll be the stuff to buy
next year, though.

Steve Gaudet
Linux Sales Engineer
| Turbotek Computer Corp.    tel:603-666-3062 ext. 21             |
| 8025 South Willow St.      fax:603-666-4519                     |
| Building 2, Unit 105       toll free:800-573-5393               |
| Manchester, NH 03103       e-mail:sgaudet at  |
|                            web: |