Scyld: memory leak or just caching?

W Bauske wsb at
Wed Jun 27 18:34:15 EDT 2001

Mike Weller wrote:

> Will this memory be freed as I need it?  Is this a memory leak, or
> is it just caching an enormous amount of disk IO?
> Nothing under the SZ column shows where the memory went (if it weren't
> the kernel).  The PRI and NI values for mdrecoverd are out of wack.
> It's like this without the fscking as well, so I'm sure it's not related.
> Any comments?

It looks like caching. Free tells you exactly what you want to
know if you look at the line that starts with:

-/+ buffers/cache:

Mem:       1572388     981856     590532          0     852032      18244
-/+ buffers/cache:     111580    1460808
Swap:      2097136          4    2097132

It says your system actually has 1460808KB available for applications.

I'd suggest you look at "man free".